Thinking About Work
Other Benefits to Maximize Income
There are many resources, provided by both government and private agencies which help individuals to maximize their income. When calculating the impact of work on benefits, all resources should be taken into account, especially housing and food.
These “budget stretchers” include but are not limited to:
- Cars – Several organizations have been established to assist low income person to purchase an automobile at a low rate in order to go to and from work. See resources by state, but keep in mind there are many requirements and low inventory of cars.
- Food Pantries & Soup Kitchens – These are generally privately supported resources that help low income individuals to obtain free groceries or meals in local communities and neighborhoods.
- Food Stamps – Known as SNAP, provides cards to lower-income Americans and qualified resident aliens in order to purchase the foods necessary to supplement their diet.
- Thrift Shops – There are many thrift and consignment shops that provide significantly discounted clothing. Some will provide free outfits for low income job seekers.
- WIC – A program for Women, Infants and Children which offers additional free foods, nutrition education, breastfeeding support, and referrals to healthcare and other services to families who qualify.