Keeping a Job
What are the typical supports a person with a psychiatric disability would need to keep a job?
The “employee” may need supports to help with job retention in a new job or after being in the job for a while. Post employment supports might include:
- Problem-solving difficult situations or changes in the work environment or the job itself
- Resolving conflicts with supervisors or coworkers
- Learning how to set limits
- Learning how to understand the demands of the work environment
- Ensuring the employee has the necessary treatment supports according to his/her particular needs
- Ensuring the employee can manage finances, get taxes done, save money when possible
- Having good accommodations when needed
Some of these supports are directly related to job retention, others are indirectly related to job retention but all are important.