Achieving Employment Goals


What if my family member doesn’t know where to look for jobs?

If your family member works with an Employment Specialist, that person can help give them direction on how and where to do a job search. Whether or not the person has an Employment Specialist, s/he can utilize America’s Job Center resources, can consult the internet websites on employment in their area as well as other national websites such as Indeed or Monster. Your family member can look online and talk to associates about possible Job Fairs to attend.
The federal government is dedicated to hiring people with disabilities. If your family member might be interested in working for the federal government, consider talking to him/her about the government’s Schedule A approach to hiring persons with disabilities into federal jobs or contacting an Agency Selective Placement Program Coordinator. If your family member is interested in working for a federal contractor, the US government has created contractor initiatives to bring more people with disabilities into the workforce. For example, the new Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act requires a 7% minimum of persons with disabilities in the contractor workforce.
There are also other federal resources for jobs such as the President’s Special Employment Initiative for Veterans which is focused on hiring veterans into civilian federal employment. In the year 2014, the percentage of veterans hired into civilian employment rose to over 33.2%.

Job Search Sites

If your family member needs more direction on where to look, we have compiled this list of job search sites.


Return to List of Questions


How can I help my family member…